Sunday, January 27, 2013
Banana Nutella Muffins
As a fun "stocking stuffer" for Christmas, I got Son #2 (who absolutely adores the stuff) a 5 kg jar of Nutella. Now, he has Nutella with bread, crackers, in a mug of hot milk (which I must say is hot, sweet, hazelnut-chocolate goodness), on bananas, on ice cream, on a spoon, on his fingers...anyways, you get the picture.
I had a few overripe bananas and an excess of Nutella, so this recipe was a natural product of the circumstances.
3 overripe bananas
1/2-1 cup Nutella (depends on how much you like the stuff!)
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2/3 cup neutral vegetable oil (I used sunflower)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Mash bananas.
2. Add oil, eggs, sugars and vanilla. Mix well then set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking soda, and salt.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix with a spatula just until incorporated.
5. Line 2 12-cup muffin pans and fill with batter about a third of the way.
6 Swirl the Nutella into the batter gently. I found that the best way to do this was to place the Nutella in a piping bag. Or you could use a zip lock and snip of a corner. Faster and easier than using a spoon.
7. Add rest of batter to fill muffin cups to about 2/3 full. Swirl Nutella on top.
8. Bake in a 350 over for 22-25 minutes.